High levels of participation in recent surveys of linen, uniform and facility services operators, which are used to generate the annual TRSA Industry Performance Report and Plant Employee Compensation Report, has created compelling industrywide financial data to identify strategies to facilitate long-term business success. These final results of these surveys have been distributed at no charge to the TRSA member companies who provided data to the Industry Performance Report (58 companies) and the Plant Employee Compensation Report (40 companies). The full reports are now available for purchase at www.trsa.org/store.
Using 2019 financial data collected on a confidential basis and compiled by the MacKay Research Group of Boulder, CO, these reports are the only industrywide research that enables operators to compare:
- Income statements, balance sheets, financial and employee productivity ratios
- Exempt employee compensation, non-exempt employee hourly wages and fringe benefit programs
TRSA’s Industry Performance Report compiles data on operator member companies’ productivity, efficiency and financial performance by:
- Annual sales volume (under $8 million, $8M-$12M, $12M-$30M, $30M+)
- Number of plants (single plant, multiple plants)
- Market specialty [industrial, food and beverage (F&B) linen, healthcare, mixed rental]
Income and cost-per-pound statements for each of these categories break down merchandise, plant, delivery, sales and administrative expenses into a combined total of 22 line items. Return-on-investment and product profiles report strategic profit model ratios, sales by market, pounds per operator hour and delivery costs per route. Productivity statistics include each category’s median employees by function, turnover, wage and salary costs by function and sales per employee.
TRSA’s Plant Employee Compensation Report provides detailed information on salaries, wages and fringe benefits. results of operator member companies are broken down by:
- Annual sales volume (under $5 million, $5-10M, $10-50M, $50M+)
- Number of locations (single, two, three or more)
- Market specialty [industrial, food and beverage (F&B) linen, healthcare, mixed rental operators]
- Regional analysis:
- New England (states include CT, MA, ME, NH, RI, VT)
- Mid-Atlantic (D.C., DE, MD, NJ, NY, PA, VA, WV)
- South (AL, AR, FL, GA, LA, MS, NC, SC, TN)
- Midwest (IA, IL, IN, KY, MI, MN, MO, ND, OH, SD, WI)
- West (AK, AZ, CA, CO, HI, ID, KS, MT, NE, NM, NV, OK, OR, TX, UT, WA, WY)
- Overview of the position descriptions of the 15 salaried job positions used to compile the report
The TRSA Plant Employee Compensation Report also incorporates questions with regard to the ever-changing workplace culture, which focuses on diversity in the responding companies. These questions range from a percentage of companies that are focusing on diversity as well as specific examples and initiatives that they have undertaken to boost diversity in the workplace.
Both TRSA members and nonmembers may purchase these reports (sold separately or bundled at a savings) through the TRSA web store at www.trsa.org/store.