The National Accident Helpline provided six tips to ensure businesses have a gas safe workplace as part of Gas Safety Week this September.

It is encouraging employers to take six steps to protect employees from the risk of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning in the workplace.

Every year in the UK, more than 200 people go to hospital with suspected carbon monoxide poisoning, which leads to around 50 deaths.

NAH advises to install a CO detector on every level of the workplace and ensure that batteries are replaced frequently; petrol or diesel driven generators, boilers, stoves and other appliances should be serviced regularly; ensure engineers used are on the Gas Safe Register; be vigilant about heating devices in winter; be aware of the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning; and if an employee or employees are thought have been exposed to carbon monoxide, turn off all gas appliances, direct affected staff to a well ventilated area and call emergency services immediately.